For a detailed walkthrough of how to integrate SmartDeploy with Windows Deployment Services (WDS), please see our article for Integrating SmartDeploy with Windows Deployment Services.
Create WDS Boot Media
- In the Activities workspace of the SmartDeploy Console, click Reimage Devices, and then click Create Media.
- On the Welcome to the Media Wizard page, click Next.
- Select WDS boot media, and then click Next.
- Select the Platform Packs for any model and OS to which you plan to deploy, and then click Next.
Note: By default, all Platform Packs will be selected on the Platform Pack page. It's important to leave selected the Platform Pack for any model that you may deploy to.
- On the Answer Files page, select one answer file only.
Support for multiple answer files is available in SmartDeploy v3.0.1080 or newer for WDS boot media (support for USB and ISO was available as of 3.0.1030).
- On the Optional Components page, you may set an Optional SmartPE Password which must be entered upon booting into SmartPE in order for deployment to proceed. Enter a password if desired, or leave blank if not, and click Next.
- On the Media Type page, select the preferred architecture for the boot image, and then click Next.
- On the Save Options page, click Browse, chose a name and location for your SmartDeploy WDS boot image, click Save, and then click Next.
- Click Finish to create the boot image.
- After the boot image is successfully created, click OK to close the Media Wizard.