SmartDeploy can be used to update device drivers, including BIOS (UEFI) updates outside of image deployment. All that's required is for the SmartDeploy Client to be installed, and the target system to be present in the Computer Management workspace.
Note: It's possible that a driver update may initiate a restart of the target device, with or without a prompt to the user. It's important to communicate to your end users that you intend to update drivers if it's possible that they'll be using the target device.
Start the Driver Deployment
- In the Computer Management workspace of the SmartDeploy Console, identify one or more computers that you want to deploy updated drivers to. If a downloaded Platform Pack is a newer version than the one that a device was last deployed with, an icon is displayed next to the device to indicate that updated drivers are available.
Note: Clients that appear in the Computer Management workspace in gray or faded text indicate that the device is off or there's another issue preventing a full connection between the console host and client. Deployments won't work when clients are in this state. Please see the Advanced Configuration and Troubleshooting section for more information.
- Click to select the client(s) that you want to deploy to, and then click Deploy | Drivers.
You can click on a single endpoint and then use Ctrl-click (for multiple, specific computers), Shift-click (for a range of computers), or Ctrl-A (to Select All), and you will be able to perform any action that can be performed on multiple endpoints simultaneously.
Note that you may only multi-select computers that have the same model, as a Platform Pack may need to be manually selected in the event of an ambiguous match with a target device.
- Select Local Network or Cloud Network for the source of the Platform Pack.
- Toggle the drop-down menu and select the Platform Pack that matches your device model.
- (Optional) If you want to allow the user of the targeted device to delay the driver update, click the Allow User To Defer Driver Update check box.
- (Optional) If you want the update to occur at a specific time, click the Schedule Deployment check box, and then select a date and time.
- Specify the credentials with access to the location of your Platform Pack files and then click Finish.
- Click OK to confirm the driver update.
- When the driver update starts, the icon next to the computer will change.
Next: Advanced Configuration